Thursday, November 18, 2004

You Just Can't Beat Dickens...

When, in the course of human events, a Dickens novel is created into a movie, it garners a small crowd of devoted Dickens fans, who flock to the theatre to see if their glorious book has been honored or ruined in the eyes of the viewing public. In the case of the most recent Dickens translation into film, it does not disappoint. Nicolas Nickleby, a typical (if you could call it that) Dickens novel, was made a film, and I watched it just recently. I thuroughly enjoyed it. When it comes to being literate on Dickens, I am sore lacking, but every time I see a Dickens film, it almost makes me read the book. I think this time, I am convinced. I shall read this book, Nicholas Nickleby. The movie was different than most of his converted works, as this was a theatre release. As so, it was done in a more movie way than a made-for-t.v. way, which meant that the script, the cinematography, and the cast are superior. What suprised me, though, is that those three forementioned virtues in this movie were far superior to those in the average film, and surpassed many well done films.
To start with the cast, you have Nathan Lane, Alan Cumming, Jamie Bell, Christopher Plummer, and many more famous theatre actors. An all-star cast, to be sure, and none of the performances disappoint. Nathan Lane plays his part with eloquence and tact, and shows his ability to act in a vast amount of story types. Christopher Plummer gives the perfect performance for the typical 19th Century Dickens villain, an old wicked man who lives in a dark mansion all alone. And Jamie Bell plays an excellent secondary character, the poor orphan 'Smike', who is the link that brings the chain of the story together. Personally, Smike was my favorite character in the movie, even though in the shadow of Charlie Shunnam, who played the main character part of Nicholas Nickleby. Jamie Bell brought out the darker, sadder elements in the story with incredible insight into the part he played. I predict that Jamie Bell is the up and coming British actor, who we will see as an icon in the movie world in the next few years, maybe following in the steps of Orlando Bloom, though maybe not as popular.
The script is well done, even as they took the best elements of Dickens and added a bit of a modern twinge, without losing the special Dickens touch. In light of the story, it's just as much Martin Chuzzulwit (I probably didn't spell that correctly) as it is a unique storyline. But all of Dickens' works follow a somewhat similar plot, but since his plot lines are so superior to most, all of his works fascinate.
They tie in the cinematography very well, and it fits the story like a hand fits a glove. The storyline is enough to keep any viewer occupied, without the help of good camera shots, but the crew of this movie were very thoughtful when it came to calling the shots. It makes the movie all the more enjoyable to have interesting angles.
From a wide view, this movie is a story of twists and turns, of the dark and the light, of sadness and joy. It brings out the best in the human heart, while letting us see more clearly the evil that we must be aware of and fight. An excellent movie overall, and one that might make it onto my favorite movies list, just maybe. I give it five stars.

3 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Price said...

Like what Time said about the movie "Have you ever seen a bad adaptation of Dickens?"

3:52 PM  
Blogger Meiska said...

Nicolas Nickleby was indeed excellent. I watch it alot, my dad bought it for me on DVD, and it has interviews with the cast, etc.
Be groovy!

8:47 AM  
Blogger Meiska said...

Nicolas Nickleby was indeed excellent. I watch it alot, my dad bought it for me on DVD, and it has interviews with the cast, etc.
Be groovy!

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home