Monday, September 27, 2004

Finally Getting Around To It...

Ok, I know it's been a long time since I posted, and it's been a very long time since I claimed I'd leave my thoughts about the book, 'Peace Like A River'. I won't disappoint you by making you wait any longer.
I read just before that book, the book 'The Storm', by Frederick Buechner. I sincerely enjoyed it, thinking it to be a thoughtfully done book, with well developed characters. And in truth, I probably would have loved it all alone, if it had not been for the fact that I was at the same time reading 'Peace Like A River'. I felt somewhat sorry for the poor book, which I really did like, but when put face to face with a book like PLAR, it's hard to even compare.
To put it frankly, I thought it was a astounding book. I haven't been so enthralled with a book since maybe 'The Man Who Was Thursday' (another excellent beyond all others kind of book). It only comes once in a blue moon, but there is a way of life where ocasionally, the artist will rise to the top and shine. And Leif Enger has done just that. I predict that in the next fifty years, Leif Enger will be looked at as one of the great novellests in the Christian world. He has created in this book a world, where it is not weighed down with the cheap characters, predictable plots, and warm fuzzy endings that has become all to common in the Christian Fiction genre. It brings the pathos of life into being, and brings the paradox of living to a point of reference that the reader can relate to. It shows both the greatest heights of joy, and the despair of hopelessness. It also brings fantasy and reality to the perfect crossing, where both worlds meet and intertwine. It has been a long time since I like a character like I liked Reuben Land. He brought interest to the book from the very beginning, and was the perfect main character. His life was full of what we experience daily. But I think the greatest character that this book has the benefit of showing presence is Reuben's father. He brought the fullness of the painful human experience to a grounded peace, that passes understanding, peace that is like a river. I believe it is he that brings the title to existence, and he is the person who is the real main character all along. Even in the back of the narraration, it is his father that guides and rescues the family from destruction in the end. For this, for all it's subtleties is a decidedly Christian narrative. It is God that guides the plotline in many ways, and the relationship between Him and His humble servant is mind blowing and thought provoking. It was a joy to think that such a common man could have such a special, intimate relationship with the creator of the universe. I was duelly impressed.
I also think that the story couldn't do without swede. I loved the way Leif Enger had the story woven with Swede's creative work. It was a new and innovative narrative, that I thought was refreshing. It was like the same story was being played out in a parallel universe, but the two connected through the thought processes and creative writing that Swede gave to the storyline. I think she was there to be a refresher, one who is there to take our minds off of Davy's life-threatening predicament, Reuben's troubled mind, and his father's intense conversations with God. It helped to see the third and less noticed person, and allowed for some room in the story.
Just like any good yarn, it had many diverse people, who brought unpredictable twists and turns to the storyline. I actually wanted to like Andreeson (at some points), and not to give it away, but I truly detested the evil individuals who popped up in the book. But all must work together, both good and bad, to create redemption and conclusion. I have to admit, leaving the book, I felt a great sorrow, not only for having to leave it behind, but also how true the saying, 'Peace Like a River' must apply to our lives, especially in the way it ended. But I won't give any more away than to say, that a better tale of love and loss, of comedy mingling with tragedy, of false hopes battling cold reality, you will be hard pressed to find. And I think that those who choose to read through it will be changed, not in a happier way, but seeing a deeper part of God's grace. A wonderful read. five out of five, if I were to rate it.
P.S.
By the way, for all of you Frederick Buechner fans out there, I haven't given him up for loss and burned all his books. I'm still a great fan of his, and truly liked 'The Storm'. I think it's a good read, for those who have the time. I simply felt the need to be loyal to a piece of incredible literature. So please don't take it the wrong way. Till next time,
Joel

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Price said...

Huzzah! A wonderful review of a wonderful book! I hope that Mr. Enger not only rises to the top "Christian Fiction" lists but those of good writers in general. (Oh, and I intend to read The Storm again to get my feelings clear on it) Anyway keep up the good work!

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home