Sunday, November 21, 2004

Inspired by my good friend Andrew...

...I have decided (on a whim) to write books I shall be reading in the next few weeks (or months, depending on circumstances). I could give a large commentary on why I picked these books, and what their deeper meanings are, but really, I picked these books by happenstance, and if you really want to know what they're about, read them! So without further ado, here they are:
1. Walden, By Henry David Thoreau
2. Trinity: A Novel Of Ireland, By Leon Uris
3. Orthodoxy, By G.K. Chesterton
4. The Ragamuffin Gospel, By Brennan Manning
5. Letters And Papers From Prison, By Dietrich Bonhoeffer; Note that this book may not still be in print, but you can look for the same book differently titled: Prisoner For God.
6. Great American Short Stories, Compiled and Edited by Wallace and Mary Stegner
7. Telling the Truth; the Gospel as Tragedy, Comedy and Fairy Tale, By Frederick Buechner
8. Something Wicked This Way Comes, By Ray Bradbury
9. Addicted To Mediocrity, By Frankie Schaeffer
10. Quo Vadis, By Henryk Sienkiewicz

Now that I have finished compiling this list, I can see that it's probably going to take longer than a month to finish these books, but I'll keep you updated as I complete a reading.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Price said...

Wow, impressive list, very brave. Anyway, I feel obliged to tell you that, as much as I've praised Orthodoxy, Chesterton was a scatterbrained journalist of first rank. And, after reflecting on my reading of the first chapter of Orthodoxy, I see that I may have romanticized the book too much. It is, at times, very hard to get through (at least it was for me then) and I just wanted to make sure that that you had a realistic idea of what to expect so that I couldn't be accused of painting too rosy a picture of the book. If you're still reading this comment, bless you; it's midnight here and I don't know half of what I've just wrote but I won't delete it because I'm sure there's something useful for you in there somewhere. Ah well, grace and peace to you and family anyway. And goodnight.

Oh yeah, I look forward to the updates too. Goodnight!

10:08 PM  
Blogger Eucharisto said...

Yes, I understand about Orthodoxy from reading (or trying to read) the first two chapters of the book of the same name. He had many great things to say, but he probably had his thoughts on puzzle pieces, and only the discerning reader knows how to put those pieces together correctly, without making it a muddled mess. But I am still set on finishing it, and shall leave my thoughts about it forthwith the book is finished. It is now almost midnight here, and I too am beginning to wonder if anything I just said in the above passage made any sense, but I won't erase mine for the same reason you didn't erase yours. Oh, and by the way, same sentiments to you and your family. Goodnight!

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home