Thursday, March 10, 2005

Random thoughts about U2

I just read a figure from an online U2 source that quoted that the total album sales of the band U2 are in the vicinity of 135 million to 140 million albums worldwide. Signs are good that the total listed above could continue to grow, and could meet or surpass the Beatle's total worldwide album sales, 160 million. I'm guessing that as the album, 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' sold 14 million copies, that Atomic Bomb will do as well or better.
But the real point is that U2's actually got a message worth hearing. In other news recently, Bono was nominated for the Nobel prize, for his incredible efforts to bring an end to poverty and AIDs crisis in Africa (I'd love to see him win, but it's unlikely, as he's up against the pope this year). He has been, and continues to be the voice for many trying to find meaning for life, and brings a good message to those willing to hear it. He reaches out to all peoples, bringing divided groups together to change the outlook on many social problems. And besides all that, U2 just does flat out cool music. No one can do it better, or charm a larger audience. Really, it's just really hard to ignore the enormous impact U2 and Bono have had on our world. So, Viva U2!
Visit U2's website here, got some cool stuff.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tuesday's Child said...

U2 is one of those rare groups of people who are truly admirable because they are a whole package; they don't just make great music, they live great lives and espouse great causes and so on. I don't even know their music as well as I should, but I sure know what they are speaking out for. We've got to work on that music thing, when is my compilation CD due? :-)

10:00 PM  
Blogger Tuesday's Child said...

U2 is one of those rare groups of people who are truly admirable because they are a whole package; they don't just make great music, they live great lives and espouse great causes and so on. I don't even know their music as well as I should, but I sure know what they are speaking out for. We've got to work on that music thing, when is my compilation CD due? :-)

10:00 PM  
Blogger Why said...

The man speaks truth. Also U2 is coming to town for the Vertigo tour tickets go on sale tommrow at ten and will most likly be sold out by eleven. And the concert isn't till December!

If the Pope wins will Bono ask for his sunglasses back?

11:43 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

I don't know much about U2. In fact, I don't know anything about them. I understand that they are not a "Christian" band, but does thier music reflect any Christian principals? I suppose I need to experiment with listening to more non-Christian music. Is this a band you would recommend starting out with?

8:09 PM  
Blogger Eucharisto said...

Yes, Bono (the lead singer) is an outspoken Christian, and has worked with the church many times. And two of the other three have also expressed their Christian beliefs. If you want to get into U2, first I'd ask if you liked modern/alt/stadium rock. If you do, then U2 is for you! If you want to get a U2 album, I'd start with maybe their latest, How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, which is upbeat, happy and thoughtful. I'd then move onto something like The Joshua Tree, which covers some more serious aspects of our society (they've always been know for being a politically and socially active band). It's kind of an aquired taste, you either like them or you don't like them at all. But they've got some great stuff to say.

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home