Friday, March 18, 2005

Unforgettable

I know that my money would probably be put to better use elsewhere, but I just can't help myself when it comes to U2. I'm currently trying to build my U2 collection, and have a long way to go. But I made a small step by purchasing The Unforgettable Fire the other day. As always with U2, I wasn't disappointed.
I'd write a full review, but most of you who read this blog are already U2 fanatics and know about it yourself, and besides that, it's really late. So I'll write a capsule review instead. Here it is:
It's really good, excellent as a matter of fact, Bono sings great anthems, and the Edge has cool guitar riffs. Pretty much the same thing I've said about every U2 album. It's more for a collector who wants to understand the U2 sound progression throughout the years, and this is simply the progression between October and The Joshua Tree. Regardless of that though, it still deserves merit by itself as an excellent album.
Standout tracks: Pride (In The Name Of Love), Bad, MLK
So you might enjoy it if you buy it.
Yeah, that's all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Why said...

Which one was it Ms. Blair? Was it "The Joshua Tree" or "How to Dismantle and Atomic Bomb"? Or maybe you went out on a limb and bought "Zooropa" or "Auchtug Baby"?

10:40 AM  
Blogger Mat Brewster said...

Start with Joshua Tree, it is classic of classics. Go back a bit a get War next, for anthem belting, spot on rock it can't be beat. Then go forward and buy Actung Baby to see how far great U2 went (they went farther with Pop, but it sucks, while Actung is still a great album). I recommend a couple of live ones (Rattle and Hum and Wide Awake in America)after that, but some of these youngins around here will probably shoot you towards something more current like All that You Can't Leave Behind (the two listens I gave it weren't enough to make me give it a third, though the radio sings stand up well) or the new one (which I've dug the few times its been spun, but I've been distracted by Wilco) but I'll stand up and say anyone who hasn't heard the live version of BAD on Wide Awake can't consider themselves a fan. From there go where you want. Boy and October have some good songs and are of interest for their Casey Casem dance feel. The Unforgettable Fire, as mentioned is quite good, but seems more like a warm up for Joshua Tree. Zooropa is worth the cost too hear Johnny Cash be accompanied by u2. Avoid Pop at all costs.

Well, that was a mouthful. Hows that taking a simple question and turning it into something longer than the original post. Sorry Eucharisto

3:13 PM  
Blogger Meiska said...

I really like the song,'The Unforgettable Fire', I just discovered it.However, I haven't heard the whole album.
B, I think that one is a good choice for you! I don't see you getting into U2 to deeply anyway, so a greatest hits is good, like an overview.

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home