Sunday, August 21, 2005

A Capsule Review

Ok, so I'm becoming somewhat scarce around here, not intentionally, just the way it happens. Hopefully you'll hear more from me soon. I've got some interesting news.
Anyway, I figured I'd give you at least something to read in the in between time, a capsule review! Maybe you'll go out and buy the album I'm recommending.
The Alt Rock band Mae happens to be a personal new favorite and future all-time favorite of mine, I recently bought their recording 'The Everglow', a soaring, anthemic album that crosses a wide expanse of ideas and emotions. The name, Mae, is actually an acronym, meaning Multi-sensory Aesthetic Experience, and that description certainly comes across through their music.
From the very beginning of the album with the prologue and spoken instructions on how to read the lyrical insert, along with the simple but emotional piano riff in the background, to the opening 'We're So Far Away', with it's longing and sparkling piano, to the interesting segway into the main body of songs, the creative minds of the members of Mae start to come alive. On the note of the lyrical insert, it is a small booklet full of artwork to go along with each song, part of the experience that the band provides for the album. The album starts in with 'Someone Else's Arms', a rocking, pulsing anthem to those lost in mediocrity, and it's obvious from that starting song that this band can crank out the radio hits. From the intense 'Suspension', to the emotive 'This Is The Countdown', to the infectious 'Breakdown' (my personal favorite of the radio ready songs on this album), the music flows and builds fascinating thought patterns in our minds while rocking the house at the same time. Almost every song on this album could be released on the radio and probably be successful.
But they go onto prove that they can do more than just rock. The beautiful and longing piano-driven 'The Ocean' shows their talent at writing the pop ballads as much as the alt rock hits, and the harmonious and flowing 'The Sun and The Moon' is a surprise treasure at the end of the album. The end of the album is a recall of the beginning 'Prologue', with 'Epologue' being a final instructions and goodbye from the narrorator, with the same simple piano riff closing the album in the same way it opened it.
Mae brings us through this album an expansive range of emotions and ideas that really stick in the mind. It's obvious the talent this band has, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them years from now, bringing us a musical and lyrical landscape of songs that reach to our very souls.
So anyway, go out and buy this album. I'll try to post sometime soon if I have the time. Leave me a comment, I'd love to hear from you all!

4 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

It amazes me how you can read into the music so well. When I listen to an album, I base my review on how the music makes me feel, and how well the songs are sung, but I find it hard to look into the deep meaning of the music. You truly have a talent for music reviews, and I really mean that. Thanks for sharing with us!

6:45 PM  
Blogger crossblade said...

thats a great review...
God be with you
thomas :)

3:46 AM  
Blogger Andrew Price said...

Hi Eucharisto, as always great review. I'm looking forward to more. I'll have to look into finding that album. Out of curiosity, how did you first hear about Mae?

10:42 AM  
Blogger Why said...

I was tempted to buy a Mae song off iTunes but I thought that I should buy the album instead of just a few select songs just to highiten the experience

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home